June 17, 2012

Stardoll Escapism

 Escapism: The desire to escape everyday life in favor of a world of fantasy.

As much as we may complain about Stardoll, we all have to admit that if there's one thing they do well, it's creating an addictive site. They created a website that's interesting enough to keep loads of users logging on daily and spend a lot of money on making sure their dolls look perfect. This is all well and good, Stardoll is a business after all, they're supposed to make money. It isn't a problem until users find themselves going out and wishing they hadn't just so they could come online, or even making up excuses not to go out so they play on their favorite website.

I'm not going to pretend I'm completely innocent, I've avoided going out with my best friend and have gone out to do something with my friend or family and wished I could be sitting at my computer at home instead. I love having the ability to live the life I can't outside of a fantasy. Stardoll gives me the opportunity to shop everyday, be completely independent when choosing my clothes and how my room looks, have loads of friends and the ability to share my opinions with everyone. There's nothing wrong with it.

While I don't consider myself addicted to Stardoll anymore, I understand the mentality completely. Why should I go out with friends when I'd rather play a computer game? Carpe diem, right? I'd also like to say that I'm not trying to criticize others for spending a lot of time online. That would make me a hypocrite. 

Do you consider yourself addicted to Stardoll, or any other online game? If so, what draws you to it? Is it escapism, like me, or something else? Do you think it's okay to skip social events in real life for Stardoll?

4 comments:

  1. Very well written.It happened to me and I think to many also that whenever am out i wished i could be sitting at the computer at home. I would not say I'm addicted to stardoll but i'm addicted with blogger sometimes i don't even log in stardoll only blogger.Time being addicted of stardoll has ended.But i do not deny that it is an escape for me:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this post Pandora! :) You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I WAS ACTUALLY JUST TALKING ABOUT THIS BUT I ONLY CAME TO STARDOLL WHEN I WAS 11 BECAUSE I LIKED DOLLS LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it should replace your social life. Stardoll is fun, interesting, and can teach you many valuable lessons, but is absolutely no substitute for a real life. If you feel you are skipping out on real life social events in lieu of Stardoll, I firmly believe it is time to quit.

    ReplyDelete

Nice to see you back! Oh wait. .. .who are you again?